About the Area
The Brookshire-Pattison area is situated ideally – close enough to the throb of big city life to enjoy the best it has to offer but still very much a part of rural America. The area is rich in churches, civic organizations, and school and youth activities. Its ties to agriculture and ranching are evidenced by Royal I.S.D.’s active Future Farmers of America Chapter, whose yearly FFA Show, Parade and Auction is a major event.
Reaching back in history, the annual Salt Grass Trail Ride travels through southern Waller County, just outside of Pattison, on its way to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Visiting riding stables or a petting zoo, fishing the Brazos or a nearby catfish farm, finding an exotic lily at Lilypons or browsing the gift and garden shop at Brookwood Community are just a few of the activities this little corner of the world has to offer.
A trip to nearby Houston is not, however, required to tune in to the modern technical world. The computer literate travel the communications highways via on-line links to information services and boldly surf the net. Educational TV is available through PBS from the University of Houston, and continuing education courses are available at area colleges and through the Katy Independent School District. And, as anywhere, politics occasionally heats up the morning cup of coffee at the local cafes.
It’s a combination that can’t be beat – relaxed living, with Mother Nature a comfortable neighbor, while tuned in to the rest of the world.
City of Brookshire
Brookshire was named in honor of Nathan Brookshire, who was a large land owner in the vicinity and a leading resident. He was a captain in the Texas army and participated in the storming and capture of Bexar in 1835. In 1893 John Kellner donated land and filed a plat for the Town of Kellner out of the William Cooper Survey, one of the oldest headrights in the state. Also in 1893, John Brookshire and O. C. Drew filed their plat for the Town of Brookshire out of the H. H. Pennington Survey. On May 24, 1946, The City of Brookshire was incorporated, comprised of both the Kellner and the Brookshire/Drew plats. Learn more.
City of Pattison
Pattison is located on FM 359 just 4 miles northwest of Interstate 10. It was founded at the junction where the Atascosito Road, a military route to East Texas established by the Spanish prior to 1757, joined the old San Felipe Trail. Named for James Tarrant Pattison, the town was organized in 1876 when three of James Pattison’s children provided land for the townsite. Before that time, the area was known as Pine Grove. The town was located on the Texas Western Narrow Gauge Railroad, which began operating from Houston to Pattison in 1877 primarily to ship cotton from the rich Brazos Valley into Houston. The Town of Pattison was incorporated on November 16, 1972. Learn more.
The City of Fulshear
Source: the Fulshear web site
The City of Simonton
Source: the Simonton web site
Since its founding, Simonton has survived many economic and community challenges and is currently poised to experience the largest growth it has ever seen. Indeed, Houston is growing and with that growth will come growing pains for Simonton. Learn more.